So last night, we enjoyed the celebration of sport and British culture that was the Opening Ceremonies. Say what you will about the pacing, the announcers, the bored-looking Queen (come on, people, she's like 100 years old), the theme interpretation, or whatever. I thought it was really cool. So here, bullet-style, are some of my favorite moments:
- Kenneth Branagh quoting Shakespeare. Now that's a stage voice!
- James Bond "escorting" the Queen into the stadium. The best of British security!
- Huge creepy puppets depicting major villains in British children's literature. A 100-foot Voldemort!
- Mary Poppins saves the day!
- The music. Awesome. Chariots of Fire? Featuring Mr. Bean? Oh yes! And a tottering old Paul McCartney (or was that Angela Lansbury?) rocking out to Hey Jude? Does it get any better?
- A record-speed Parade of Nations that culminated in all the flags flying on "Glastonbury Tor"