Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer Reading Project Book Four: Anne of the Island

I loved this book! I believe I mentioned that the previous two books don't have a strong plot, but this one does. It is a romance, with all the glorious moments, misunderstandings, tension, and resolution that a good romance has. Ironically, Anne herself is such a romantic that she almost misses her own chance at love, because it didn't look exactly like she thought it would. But I won't tell you how it turns out. If you've read it or seen the movie, you know (although the book does it better, I think), and if you haven't, you'll just have to read it for yourself!

Although is it a romance at its heart, this book is also about friendship, college, and a young woman with developing dreams for her life. Those dreams take a few interesting twists and turns, with one in particular (the ill-fated short story, Averil's Atonement) that is both hilarious and a bit tragic at the same time. The time frame covers Anne's four years at Redmond College, with her friends Priscilla, Philippa, and Stella. Philippa, a new character, is a strange and delightful creature, vain and friendly at the same time, caught up in trying to pick which of her many suitors to marry.

I read this VERY fast. Greg lost me there for a day or two. I just had to see how it ended, even though I already knew!! This is definitely one of my favorites in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! You know you want to. Do it.