Wednesday, January 14, 2015

On Friendship

Through an interesting set of circumstances, I've recently had an opportunity to evaluate some of my closest friendships, and I've learned some things. About life, about friends, and about my friends, in particular.  I think some of it is worth sharing.

I'm not a particularly outgoing person. I used to consider myself an introvert and I suppose that's still true to some extent, although I like people much better now than I once did. I was very shy growing up, and being homeschooled didn't give me much of an opportunity to break out of my shell. It wasn't until after college, when I started my Mary Kay business, that I finally realized that I actually like people. Still, I've never had a huge group of friends. I tend to have a small handful of people that I know and trust, a larger circle of friends I genuinely enjoy spending time with, and then plenty of acquaintances who I'll smile and chitchat with, but who really don't know me at all. Most of those people tend to think I'm sweet. My friends know better. My close friends really know me, and love me anyway. At least, that's how I see it.

I find that in life it's helpful to think the best of people, but not trust them too much. Still, most of the time I'd rather err on the side of trust. There are times I regret that. But I'd rather love people and have real relationships where I might get hurt than put up walls and be fake. To me, that doesn't sound like any kind of life. Anyway, here's what I've learned about true friends:

A true friend is a friend all the time. Good times, bad times, fun times, hard times. A true friend knows my faults, maybe not all of them but most of them, but doesn't fault me for them. A true friend will listen to me go on and on for hours or maybe even days, or sometimes even longer, about what is going on in my life. Even after I say, "Ok, now I'm done. Oh wait, one more thing..." A true friend will listen to my secrets and my fears and keep them quiet. A true friend will have my back when times get tough. A true friend is honest. A true friend won't tell me "oh, you're fine, everything will be okay" when it's obvious that I'm not, and it won't. A true friend won't tell me what to do unless I actually ask for advice. A true friend is willing to let me make my own mistakes, pray me through them, and be there for me afterward without the obvious but belittling "I told you so." True friends can have fun doing little stupid stuff, and big fun stuff, laugh at a gazillion inside jokes, and talk about nothing or important things anytime, for hours if necessary. A true friend has the courage to correct me in person, rather than going behind my back.

I have discovered that I may have fewer true friends than I thought, but I am so thankful for the ones I have. I hope that I am always the kind of friend I hope to have in my life. Because when the hard times do come, and they always will, it's good to have a few good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! You know you want to. Do it.